Friday, January 26, 2007

Australia Day Pavlova

What better way to celebrate Australia Day with that great Australian invention, Pavlova¹ !

Topped with lashings of pure whipped cream and slices of fresh ripe mango that have been bathed in a light kaffir lime leaf syrup, there's plenty to go round to help celebrate this Australia Day.

pavlova

Mango Pavlova
[Makes 1 20cm pavlova]

6 egg whites
275 grams caster sugar
6 teaspoons cornflour, sifted
1 teaspoon white vinegar
250mls pure cream, whipped to medium peak ( I used Elgaar Dairies Organic Table Cream)
1 large mango, peeled and sliced
½ cup kaffir lime leaf syrup

Make the Kaffir Lime Leaf Syrup
Take equal measures of caster sugar and water and 5 finely shredded kaffir lime leaves - simmer of a medium heat until sugar dissolved and mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat and let it infuse until cold.

Make the Pavlova
Whisk the egg-whites until soft peaks form - then add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Make sure the sugar has been absorbed before adding the next. This will take at least 5 minutes.

Sprinkle the cornflower and vinegar over the meringue and fold through until just amalgamated.

Pipe or spoon the meringue out to form a 20cm/8 inch circle - flatten the top out (this will be filled once the meringue has cooked). You can be as precise or rustic as you like - it all tastes the same.

Place the pavlova in a preheated 120°C/250°F oven for 1 hour 30 minutes - the aim is not to colour the pavlova but to dry it out while leaving the interior marshmallow soft. If it starts to colour, turn the oven down.

When cooked, prop open the oven door with a spoon and let the pavlova cool in the oven. It will most likely sink and even crack - that's fairly normal.

Finish the Pavlova:
Toss the mango slices through the kaffir lime leaf syrup.

Spoon the whipped cream onto the top of the pavlova, filling any indentation that has formed.
Top with the mango slices.

Serve immediately - or if storing in the fridge, make sure it's in a sealed container as the pavlova will absorb any fridge odours.

¹ No discussion of the origin of Pavlova will be entered into as I will simply close my eyes and go la la la la. So there!

Tagged with

18 comments

  1. THat looks delicious!
    I tried making anzac bikkies for Australia Day but unfortunately failed... I made ice cream instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing - I love mangos! I am wondering about the cornflour, though - Is that what we Americans call cornstarch? Or is it what we call corn flour (which is a bit grittier)? If you know, please let me know. I would love to add this to this week's Gluten-Free Roundup, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Brilynn - shame the anzac biscuits didn't work out but ice cream is an excellent substitute.

    Thanks BTB - it is cornstarch and it is made with corn and if I believe the packet it's gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Kiwis still claim Pavlova for their own, but I'm with you - my research tells me that it was named after her visit to Melbourne in the 1920s. I still think you publish the best photos on the web and I want to hire you as my freelance food photographer one day when I'm rich and famous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a great looking pavlova! It's one of my favourite desserts actually, but I've only ever used strawberries with it. Will bookmark your recipe and try it next time pavlova's on the menu!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome pav! Btw - how high should this be piped?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Trig - I'll hold you to that deal, I'll take any excuse to spend some more time in London.

    Thanks Carol - you can't really go wrong with pavlova.

    Thanks Ellie - this one was a good 10cm high before it went into the oven. If you make it wider naturally enough it will be lower. I really like having a generous amount of marshmallowy meringue in my pavlova.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I'd love this recipe, especially because I love mangoes, which are included here. ;-))))

    Happy Australia Day!

    Paz

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an excellent picture and recipe.
    Mangoes are fantastic!

    Happy Australian Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Paz - mangoes are so easy to love!

    Thanks Burcu!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm late to comment this post, but Happy Birthday to Australia!! :D

    Your pavlova is great, Haalo - mangoes as a wonderful choice!

    I tried once to make a pavlova but it didn't work out. I later found out there was a problem with my oven (temperature differences).

    Now it's fixed so I should give it a try again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haalo: between the cupcakes, souffe and your pavovla I am in sugar heaven! This looks so refreshing and light!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Patricia - yes, the secret is to cook it low and slow, you should give it another go.

    Thanks Helene - I think I went sugar crazy. That is one very good thing about pavlova it's ridiculously light so it's not too bad ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok Haalo, I'll bite!
    Where's your sources?

    It's OUR national day in a few, and I'll be posting OUR national dessert...
    and I have sources!
    la la la la

    BTW looks fantastic with the mango!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Bron of course it's ours and we invented it first. I mean even your national day happens AFTER ours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Hey, maybe... but your every day starts after ours! :oP

    ReplyDelete
  17. true - but our days finish later so you're alseep and we're still having fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Haalo:) I came across your blog in my personal search engine while seeking a link for Australia Day. I hope you don't mind but I'm "grabbing" this link to include in a post I'm doing today.

    Thank you so much for sharing, I must make it a point to stop back when I'm not in the middle of a post. Your creations sound so delicious:)

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig