Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Cheese: Hunter Belle

Hunter Belle, as the name suggest, comes from the Hunter Valley in New South Wales. They source their milk solely from Swiss Brown Cows and believe in allowing seasonal variations to come through in their cheese.

Hunter Belle Goldenbelle

Cheese Maker - Hunter Belle
Cheese Type - Goldenbelle
Location - New England Highway, Muswellbrook
Open - Seven Days 10am-3pm

Hunter Belle Goldenbelle

It's saffron coloured skin probably tells you that this is a washed rind cheese and if you happen to be in it's presence, it's pungent aroma leaves you without any doubt.

Hunter Belle Goldenbelle

I found the skin to be somewhat tacky to the touch and compared to previous washed rind cheeses, this one is not for the faint hearted.

Hunter Belle Goldenbelle

This hasn't been out of the fridge for too long but you can see that it's started to soften - the cheese has a creamy mouth-feel but it's quite strongly flavoured, along the line of a blue cheese. Even after three hours there's still quite a strong ammonia scent.

I'd recommend this for those that like their cheese with attitude.

*For Melbournites - I found this cheese at Leo's in Kew, they also stock a few others from their range.

7 comments

  1. Oooh, I love me some stinky cheese! I wonder if this is available in the States. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 18, 2007

    I'm just starting to seriously explore artisanal and farmstead cheeses and have only just begun to get up the courage to try some of the more...odiferous...varieties. It's good to have recommendations like these to help me get up my courage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cheese looks amazing. I wonder if I can find it over here? Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about the attitude Haalo and this cheese is just calling my name. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haalo, I know what you mean about cheese with attitude. I bought a washed rind cheese from the Hunter last year (can't remember the name, it won an award apparently), and it stank up my fridge for months!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...Hunter Belle....hmm mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kitt - I've checked the links on their website and it's predominately sold in NSW so I don't think they would be exporting it.

    Thanks Heather - you're on a wonderful journey, just take each cheese as it comes and be open to the experience, even within categories there can be vast differences.

    Thanks Stephen.

    Thanks Rose - you certainly know when this cheese is around ;)

    Hi Nora - it might have been this one as it won a gold medal at the ASCA cheese show.

    Thanks Winegrrl.

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig