Friday, March 26, 2010

Kumamoto Oysters

When you talk Oyster in Australia, you'll usually find that there'll be a debate between Sydney Rock or Pacific and which one is best, much like the Holden V Ford rivalry in motor racing.

I can call time on this debate - the best oyster is this one, Kumamoto oyster.



Kumamoto oyster© by Haalo


Kumamoto Oysters (Crassostrea sikamea) originally hail from (surprisingly) the Kumamoto area of Kyushu in Southern Japan but are also being grown here in Australia.

What you'll immediately notice, when compared to their rivals, is their size - these are small oysters but have quite a pronounced cup which can make balancing them a bit precarious.



Kumamoto oyster© by Haalo


The flesh is creamy, buttery and sweet and if you aren't really a great fan of oysters (I put my hand up here) then you really should give these a go as I think you'll be quite impressed.

These are oysters that are best served as nature made them but if you must have something I can highly recommend just a slight scattering of finger lime.



Kumamoto oyster© by Haalo


You don't just get the citrus factor which enlivens the flavour you also get those bursts of flavour and texture as the finger lime pods explode in your mouth.



Kumamoto oyster© by Haalo


A glass of bubbles and a few of these - life doesn't get much better.

Kumamoto Oyster on Foodista

7 comments

  1. Wow! They look fascinating.
    I was only thinking the other day if there were different types of oysters available other than the Pacific and the Sydney Rock.
    Where can I find these to taste? The Sydney Fish Markets?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fiona - when I visited the Sydney Fish market last year to my surprise I didn't find any Kumamoto Oysters - I got these from Prahran Markets (Claringbolds)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just looking at these awesome pictures, I am convinced that Kumamoto oysters are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit that there are few things I don't like and amongst them, in the top five, are oysters. Definately I've never seen those before, so since you say the flavour is sweeter and less pronounced...if I ever get to find them I guess I will have to give them a try.It's great to learn about new ingredients...and here you share 2 for 1 (both yet to find and try): kumamoto oysters and finger lime!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Nina - they are exceptional hard to beat, I hope you get to try some!

    Thanks Colette - I've also found that they don't seem to have that slimy texture that I know turns people off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still get mesmerized when I look at these photos!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig