Saturday, September 03, 2011

Dried Blueberry and Oat Cookies

Susan from The Well-Seasoned Cook is hosting this edition of Weekend Herb Blogging and this week marks the start of spring here and soon fresh berries will be back in season, until then I'm making do with these  lovely Dried Blueberries.

Dried Blueberries© by Haalo


These dried blueberries have an intense flavour and also contain all those wonderful nutrients that you associate with fresh blueberries. Although they have a sweet flavour they also have a slight savoury edge which makes them seem a bit more "grown up" in taste when compared to ultra sweet sultanas.

While flicking through the August edition of Good Food Magazine I stopped upon a recipe for a raisin and oat cookie and it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't made cookies in a long time. These cookies, with a few adjustments, seemed a perfect antidote to my cookie abstinence and a perfect vehicle for these lovely dried blueberries.

Dried Blueberry and Oat Cookies© by Haalo


Dried Blueberry and Oat Cookies
Makes about 40

70 grams rolled oats
70 grams rolled spelt
50 grams shredded coconut
220 grams plain flour
140 grams slivered almonds
100 grams dried blueberries
140 grams butter, diced roughly
220 grams soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda


Place the oats, spelt, coconut, flour, almonds and blueberries into a large bowl and mix together until evenly distributed.

Put the butter, brown sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and place over a low heat, stirring often until the butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved - this should only take a few minutes. Remove from the heat.

Put the soda into a small bowl and pour over the boiling water - stir to dissolve and then pour into the melted butter mixture. Stirring constantly, you'll notice a reaction occur, the mixture will lighten and start to rise a little - don't panic, keep stirring as you tip it into the oat mixture. Stir the oat mixture well until it's all moist and sticky.

To form even sized cookies, I use a small ice-cream scoop to portion the dough. I managed to get 40 scoops from the dough. Roll each scoop into a ball and flatten in your palm. Place them on a baking paper lined tray - leaving some room for the cookies to spread.

Bake in a preheated 160°C oven until golden - around 10-15 minutes. Let them sit on the tray to cool slightly before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.

If you like your cookies chewy - cook them closer to the 10 minute mark, the longer you cook them the more crunchy they become. If you make bigger cookies then the cooking time will need to increase.

10 comments

  1. They look very wholesome. Love the inclusion of dried blueberries - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oat cookies are my favorite!
    I probably won't find any dried blueberries in Italy :-(
    I could try with raisins, but I agree with you..they are to sweet and I like the idea of the of something different.
    mmmm, perhaps I can try with cranberries!! those are easier to find :-D
    lovely recipe
    baciuss
    brii

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen rolled spelt: interesting. The dried blueberries look beautiful. Here dried blueberries are usually sweetened, which I don't like very much. I assume the cookie abstinence is a memory by now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought dried blueberries for the Quinoa granola I make. I think my next batch will have to do without so I can make these. Now, if I can just figure out where to get the spelt. Bob's Red Mill sells the flakes, I think. Looks delicious Haalo!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the first snapshot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i saw some wonderful dried blueberries in the shop yesterday and wondered what i could do with them.

    these sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Leaf - they remind me a lot of anzac biscuits

    Thanks Brii - I think cranberries would be perfect!

    Thanks Simona - oh yes, I am od'ing on cookies now :)

    Thanks Chris - funny thing is I was thinking of making granola with these blueberries but then decided on the cookies. The spelt isn't necessary, they can be made just with oats.

    Thanks Shri!

    Thanks Anna - I've also used them in apple strudel and muesli bars

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cookie desserts! Blueberry and Oats are so good together. I love cookies with milk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so yummy and as healthy as a cookie can get. I've had a bag of tiny wild dried blueberries around here for ages (they come fr/ Canada & are different than the typical U.S. kind), but they'd be perfect for this kind of recipe.

    Thanks for sharing a bit of wholesome sweets for WHB!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Cookielover!

    Thanks Susan - they do sound divine!

    ReplyDelete

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig