Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Fegato di Vitello e Salvia

There are lots of things that I love about being in Italy and having the luxury of, if just for a while, living in Italy. I do adore the proper butcher shops that I have a great pleasure of frequenting - I love the simplicity of their meat cabinets. Instead of an array of pre-portioned cuts we see the meat presented in much simpler forms.

At my first visit I was immediately drawn to the beautiful veal liver displayed before me and when two perfectly fine slices were cut, well, I think I've found butcher heaven.

Veal Liver© by Haalo


Growing up I ate a fair bit of Veal Liver - and even though I'm not as big a fan of liver as Paalo, I do love the way my mother would cook it. One way is with marsala and the other, as I've done today, with sage and butter.

Veal Liver and Sage© by Haalo


Fegato di Vitello e Salvia / Veal Liver with Sage
[Serves 2]

2 slices veal liver
egg, lightly beaten
fresh sage leaves
butter
freshly ground salt and pepper


Prepare the liver:
I had two large slices of liver and I've cut them roughly into 3 smaller pieces.
Lightly beat the egg in a bowl and then add in the liver slices. Let this stand for a few minutes while you proceed with the next step.

Make the sauce:
Put a large skillet on a low heat - the skillet should comfortably hold the veal in one layer. Place a large knob (I mean LARGE) of butter in the pan and about 6 to 8 sage leaves and let the butter very slowly melt - you want the sage to infuse into the butter without having the butter brown, so the slower the better.

When you see that the butter is starting to colour, drain the liver from the egg, increase the heat under the skillet and quickly add in the slices of veal. Season with a grinding of sea salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute (depending on the thickness) and then turn them over - give them another lightly grinding of seasoning and cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Serve at once with a few spoonfuls of the sage butter and a simple side of steamed new potatoes.

No comments

Post a Comment

© Cook (almost) Anything at Least Once | All rights reserved.
BLOG TEMPLATE HANDCRAFTED BY pipdig